--

--

---------------------

Friday, August 7, 2015

Delicious Frozen Sweet Corn

Nothing tastes more like summer than fresh picked sweet corn in August.  Don't you wish you could get that flavor in January?  I do.  And with the help of a recipe from an old-fashioned cookbook, Chit Chat Homemakers, you can too.

For you local folks, head over to Nekoosa and pick up some super sweet corn from a disabled vet.  I talked to him yesterday and he relies on sweet corn sales for a good portion of his income.  It is some of the best I've ever had.   FYI:  he's located on the street across from Beaver's, sort of.  I bought 5 bags which pencils out to 70 ears of corn.  We ate about a dozen with our tacos last night and then froze the rest.

Here's my method for freezing corn.  I've adapted the original recipe to suit our tastes.  I'll share my version of the recipe after the pictures.

Step 1 - Shuck the corn, remove all silks.


Step 2 - It's time to cut the kernels from the cob.  In the past I've stabled the cob on a cutting board and cut the kernels letting them fall.  It makes a huge mess.  This time I was thinking I needed a way to balance the cob and then a bowl to catch the kernels.  Looking through the cupboards I found my angel food cake pan.  The center opening was too large and as the kernels were removed the cob kept pushing through the opening.  The idea was right, just the wrong pan.  So I grabbed my bundt pan and it worked perfectly.
 The cob balanced easily in the opening and the kernels fell in the pan.  Hardly any mess at all.  I also tried my Rada bread knife and it worked like a dream.


And then in no time (a little more than an hour even with lots of distractions) your counter will be covered in bowls of corn.


Step 3 - Cook corn with water, salt, sugar and.  At this point the distractions ramped up so I don't have anymore pictures.  But basically you bring the corn to barely a boil for 2 minutes.  Then add butter.  Cool slightly.  Pack into freezer bags or containers.  Cool a little more and freeze.  When you take these out of the freezer in the dead of winter, thaw and heat until hot you will be taken right back to summer.  It's so good. (please excuse the dirty stove top, it's been working a lot of overtime hours)


Fresh Frozen Corn
6 cups sweet corn kernels
1 1/2 c. water
3/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 T. sugar
2 T. butter
Place corn, water, salt, and sugar in pot.  Bring to a slight boil for two minutes, stirring often.  Add butter, stir to melt.  Cool slightly.  Pack in family size portions.  Note:  I double this recipe and cook in my large pots.  If suppose you could cook this in a huge canning kettle, but it would need constant stirring.  I just can't commit to that so I cook it in smaller batches in multiple pots on the stove at one time.  



And since apple time is near, another recipe you might enjoy.


Linking up with:

Homemaking LInkup