--

--

---------------------

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Homeschool Planning Idea

Ideas run like water from my mind daily and if I don't write them down they might be lost forever. Last year I started a Homeschool Idea Notebook. Every time I had an idea of something to do or found a website with an interesting idea I grabbed my notebook and jotted it down. Quickly I had acquired a full page of ideas such as: make sun prints, write letters to grandparents, bake lollipop cookies, do egg/vinegar experiment, make paper weavings, work in cursive workbook, read a few Grimm fairy tales. I had this long list and great intentions, but after completing the day's work little time was left for extras that didn't fit into any particular area of study. I hated to let these ideas remain as just a list so I looked at our schedule and found our least busy day. Each week on that day I'd tell the kids which subject we would be skipping - we varied it to keep our studies even - and what activity would be in its place. This worked well for us until I let it slide. The kids liked the idea of doing something completely different with out any strings attached. We simply completed the activity and it was done - no notebooking or adding it to any binders. I've been collecting ideas over the summer and have another full page and grand intentions of keeping this going throughout the school year.

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of skipping a subject for a little bit of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas. It certainly keeps things from being boring. Great way to liven things up.

    ReplyDelete

I love chatting with my readers. So go ahead and comment to start the conversation.