--

--

---------------------

Tuesday, June 6, 2006

"Happy" Graduation

We attended a graduation party for my cousin this last Saturday. The weather was beautiful, I visited with lots of out of town relatives, ate great food, listened to fun live music, watched my kids make friends with the other kids (no social problems to speak of) and unfortunately, watched 40-50 teenagers drink alcoholic beverages without their parents or the host of the party having any concern about it. Thinking back to that day I am saddened that the adults didn't put higher expectations on these youth, our future. Listening in on a couple of conversations I heard them swear incessantly, belittle their older siblings who are in college, talk disrespectfully to their parents (on cell phones) and talk of having no plans for their future except to live at home until "kicked out". I hope this is not an average cross section of the youth of today because if it is we are in for a lot of trouble. All I can say is that I am so sad for these young "adults". Their spirits have been crushed and now they are left to find a purpose for themself. My prayer today: Lord, help those young people to come to you. Show them their purpose and give them the will to follow your lead. Help me, O Lord, to develop a love for you in my children, that they will follow your lead and know that you have a plan for them if they just listen. Give me the strength to set high expectations for my children and not back down when "everyone else is doing it". Amen

1 comment:

  1. I hope this is not an average cross section of the youth of today because if it is we are in for a lot of trouble.

    Be afraid, be very afraid. I have seen this behavior in my husband's nieces and nephews, as well as the neighborhood children.

    ReplyDelete

I love chatting with my readers. So go ahead and comment to start the conversation.