--

--

---------------------

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Mock Chop Suey {Large Family Food}




I love old time favorites when it comes to recipes. This one's been in the family for 60+ years.

Mock Chop Suey

1 1/2 pound ground beef (I use venison)
2 onions, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup water
4 T. chop suey sauce (soy sauce)
1 can cream of mushroom
1 can cream of chicken
1/2 cup uncooked regular rice
salt and pepper
1 bag chow mein noodles

Brown meat, onions and celery in bacon grease (or lard).  Place in large casserole.  Add remaining ingredients except noodles; mix well.  Bake, covered, at 325 degrees for 1 hour, 20 minutes.  Remove cover; top with chow mein noodles.  Bake for 10 minutes longer until noodles have crisped.

I like to save on dishes by browning the meat and baking the casserole in the same pot.  I use Lodge Enameled Cast Iron all the time.


I have the YouTube version of this recipe available, too.


Share your favorite frugal family casserole in the comments below.  I'd love to try out a new recipe or two.