--

--

---------------------

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Recipe - Hug and Kiss Soup

The formal name of this soup is American Potage, but as a child Warren loved this soup so much that eating it felt like getting a great big hug and kiss from mom and the term stuck.  I just glanced at the calendar and see that today is the perfect day to share a recipe that perfectly honors her legacy as a loving mother and wonderful cook.  Today is the 11th anniversary of her death.  Perpetual light shine on her and may she rest eternally in heaven above.

Hug and Kiss Soup
Brown slowly in a little fat in a heavy kettle....1 lb. ground meat.  Add and cook 5 minutes more...1 c. chopped onions.
       Add.....4 c. hot water
                   1 c. sliced carrots
                   1 c. sliced celery
                   1 c. cubed potatoes
                   2 t. salt
                   1/2 t. pepper
                   1 t. beef bouillon
                   1 bay leaf, crumbled
Mix thoroughly.  Bring to a boil, cover, then simmer 20 minutes.  Add.....1 28 oz. can of tomatoes.  cover and simmer 10 minutes.  Serves 6 (6 whole fresh tomatoes may be used instead of canned)

That's how the original appears exactly.  Here are my tweaks.
*I always use ground venison and when browning I cover and turn the heat a little higher than normal so the meat really browns and the juices brown significantly to the bottom of the kettle.
*When I add the water I scrape the bottom of the kettle to loosen the browned bits; this is the key to imparting that yummy "hug and kiss" flavor.(Thanks Jenny)
*I always add more potatoes because we all love potatoes in soup.
*I use a little less salt.
* I leave the bay leaf whole and then remove it before serving.
* I use my home canned tomato juice in place of the canned tomatoes because we love the flavor and the kids like it better without chunks of tomato.

Here in Wisconsin we're still in soup mode because winter will not leave!  Warren had to plow snow today.  Actually it was more of a frozen icy, sleety, snow mix.  Just for comparison and since I remember March 24, 2000 quite well I can tell you that March can bring any kind of weather in Wisconsin.  That particular March day was warm and sunny.  None of us wore coats or boots, the snow was gone.  Warren had been laying out pipe in the weeks prior, a sure sign that spring has truly sprung.  But alas it's not 2000, but 2011 and it's oh so cold and the ground is still covered in a thick icy snowy layer.  I better get cooking because soup is on the menu for tonight. 

12 comments:

  1. Thank you! I will try it. I'm in Perth, Australia, where it's not even remotely wintery at the moment (35C forecast for today!) However we've been eating a lot of un-summery fod lately because I am sick of cooking separate dishes for our 12 month old, and soups/casseroles etc are the easiest for her to manage as they can be mushed/pureed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe sounds delicious & something my family would really like. We were living in Milwaukee the Winter of 2000. It snowed 53 inches in December that year, I will never forget it! My 1 year old at that time had therepy 4 days a week at the St Francis Children's Center. Driving was interesting & thank goodness we had 4 wheel drive. We also bought a snow blower that year too..lol!! Thanks for sharing your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that year, too. We had 6 foot snowbanks on the sides of our driveway. I love sharing recipes; I hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello from Texas! We are having an usual fall like day! The temp is about 80, so it must be soup weather! Looking forward to trying this recipe. Thank you for all of your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today has been super weird for us in WI. We started with rain and 72 and now it's down to 40. I hope you enjoy the soup as you get some cooler temperatures.

      Delete
    2. I am watching your video and just had to look up this soup !! Going to try it next week !! Love the name of it !

      Delete
  5. This is almost just like some soup my daddy used to make. It's pretty much my favorite. I make it a lot, but never exactly the same. (not unlike how my dad taught me to make his meatloaf-just use what you've got) I sure do miss him and his cooking, so from now on I will refer to this soup as Hug & Kiss soup too. Thank you for sharing, not just the recipe, but the story behind it. I totally get it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too had to look up the recipe for Kiss and Hug Soup. Looks delicious. A sweet memory to honor Warren’s mother. Thank you for sharing. New sub to “A Country Life”

    ReplyDelete
  7. The name of your soup got me interested in looking it up, thank you for sharing the sweet story behind it! We love soup so I am going to make this but leave out the tomatoes but I will definitely keep the name!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm new to your Youtube channel thanks to the Crocktober collab and when you mentioned Hug and Kiss soup in your tomato juice canning video I had to Google it. Sure enough...it brought me right here to your web page. Yay! This sounds a lot like what my mom used to make but called Hamburger Soup. I agree it is just like a hug and a kiss from your mom. Mine has only been gone since last December and I've made this several times in the past months to bring back those sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly, just saw your comment today. Thanks for stopping by and joining in Crocktober.

      Delete
  9. I've been watching your videos and wanted to know what Hug and Kiss soup was so I googled it and found you. It must be destiny LOL

    ReplyDelete

I love chatting with my readers. So go ahead and comment to start the conversation.