--

--

---------------------

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Canning Jalapenos

We love spicy food so it only seems natural to preserve any extra jalapenos the garden produces.

I simply wash and slice the peppers into rings.  Most of the pepper's heat comes from the seeds so I leave the seeds right where they are.


I then pack them tightly into half pint jars.  Remember to wear rubber gloves otherwise later in the evening when you're feeling a bit sleepy you'll rub your eyes and then they'll start burning so you'll rub them a little more and they'll burn some more and then you'll wonder what's going on and after a quick replay of the day you'll realize you sliced 40 jalapenos without gloves and now your eyes and probably even finger tips are burning and nothing will bring relief except time.  It's happened to me.  Learn from my mistakes; wear gloves!


Next I boil up a solution of 6 cups vinegar, 2 cups water and a couple of smashed garlic cloves.  Once it boils, simmer for 5 minutes.  Discard garlic and pour brine over jalapenos, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.  Adjust two-piece caps and process in boiling water canner for about 10 minutes.  Remaining vinegar mixture can be saved in a tightly covered jar for 10 days.


A favorite Packer Sunday tradition is to make a huge plate of nachos with all the fixins, and these jalapenos top it off nicely.  

Other ways to eat these up
Top a hamburger with a few peppers and a slice of cheese
Dice up jalapenos and an onion, saute; then add BBQ sauce and whiskey - top a hamburger with this mixture
Add to scrambled eggs with a little cheese and onion
Use as a topping for tacos

We have been enjoying a rainy week so far.  I know for Warren and all those who work outside it's screwed things up a bit, but we are still grateful for the much needed rain.

Strangers and Pilgrims on Earth

I'm linking up with The Art of Home-Making Mondays.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm I love jalapenos! And as of right now, they're the only kind of pepper that's actually producing in my garden right now. Hopefully that changes, but if not, I'll definitely be canning some. I've never canned jalapenos this way, but I did do "Cowboy Candy" one year. That was a big hit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely googling Cowboy Candy. Can't wait to see what that is. With peppers, it seems some years are good and other not. Last year I couldn't grow a pepper to save my life. This year it's a bumper crop.

    ReplyDelete

I love chatting with my readers. So go ahead and comment to start the conversation.