--

--

---------------------

Monday, September 21, 2015

Homemade Pancake Mix

For some reason when I'm up to my eyeballs in canning (perishables), I seem to think I should stock the pantry with homemade mixes, too, which really could be done anytime like when the wagon loads of tomatoes are put up and the endless boxes of apples are sauced.  I'm not sure if it's the prepper in me or maybe I'm part squirrel.

Here we go with another recipe that comes in handy on busy mornings and makes for a quick lunch, too.  Whipping up an individual batch of pancake mix isn't hard, but it takes minutes that sometimes I don't have.  So instead of pulling out the dry ingredients for just one batch, I like to mix up a big batch all at once.  Then all I have to do is add the wet ingredients and warm up the griddle when we're craving pancakes.


I like to line up the dry ingredients with the appropriate measuring cup or spoon.  I set my empty pancake mix container on the right and then add the ingredients as if I was making only one batch.  I give it a quick whisk and then add another batch, whisk, repeat.  Kind of like the directions on the shampoo bottle.  Does anyone waste shampoo by actually washing and repeating?  Just scrub harder the first time.  Back to pancakes.  You might notice I do not have a measuring spoon for the salt, that's because I eyeball it.  And since you only used the measuring cups and spoons for dry ingredients, give them a quick wipe on your apron and put 'em back in the drawer.  No need to wash dishes that don't need washing.

Homemade Pancake Mix (one batch)

2 1/4 cups flour
1 T. sugar
2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt

My container holds 5 batches.

When ready to use, measure out 2 1/2 cups mix and add 2 c. buttermilk, 2 eggs, and 3 T. melted butter or oil.  Stir, leaving a few lumps and fry on hot griddle.


Linking up with Raising Homemakers for their Homemaking Linkup.

4 comments:

  1. I had the clever thought to help my kids make a 5x batch of pancake mix in the week before Mother's Day. Forgot to explain it was for 5 occasions. Result: pancakes for breakfast and snacks for Mother's Day and several days after!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have very helpful kids. Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I have discovered your youtube channel only a few days ago and I have seen approximately the half of your videos.
    I have a recipe of pancake mix and you only have to mix equal part of pancake mix and water. You gonna need 6 cups of flour, 1/2 cup of sugar, 3/4 cup of dry milk ou dry buttermilk (if you prefer), 1 Tbsp baking soda, 2 Tbsp baking powder,1 1/2 tspn salt.
    I want to thank you for sharing all you share with us.
    Lots of hugs from France
    Lyly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recipe. As you can tell from my videos I love new recipes of all kinds. Wow! France, that's so neat to have you watching all the way from France. Glad you're here.

      Delete

I love chatting with my readers. So go ahead and comment to start the conversation.