--

--

---------------------

Sunday, July 1, 2018

How to Make a Rhubarb Pie & Homemade Pie Crust

Who doesn't love pie?


I love pie so much.

And if you love pie as much as I do you are going to want to learn how to make them homemade because have you looked at the price of a bakery pie?  OMG - they are crazy expensive or unthinkably small.  

Does baking a pie scare you?  It shouldn't.  It definitely isn't difficult, just a little time consuming.  In an effort to be always efficient today we made TEN pies at once.  It helps to enlist a few extra hands and in my case I grabbed three unsuspecting TV watching nappers and put them to work.  It wasn't long and we were filling the freezer with rhubarb pies.

Let's talk about crust.  It needs to be flaky and light.  The best way I've found to get the most desirable crust is to use lard.  Yes, lard.

This recipe makes enough crust for 2 double crust pies or 4 single crust pies.  It also freezes well so if you don't use it all just shape a crust size amount of dough into a small round, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months.  

Best Ever Pie Crust

3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup + 2 T. lard
5 T. water
1 T. vinegar
1 egg

Combine dry ingredients.  Cut in lard until crumbly.  Whisk wet ingredients and stir into flour mixture.  Stir together just until mixed.  Divide dough and roll out using a little extra flour.

That's it.  I'm sure you can do it, just don't over mix or you'll get tough dough.

On this particular day I made two different rhubarb pie recipes so we could compare and see which one we liked better.  Since this was my first time freezing rhubarb pies I wasn't sure if they would get too juicy and need a little extra flour.  (They didn't)

Rhubarb Pie

3 cups sliced rhubarb
1 cup sugar
sprinkle of nutmeg
1 egg
3 T. flour

Mix all together and pour into unbaked pie crust.

Topping:
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter

Mix flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly.  I use my food processor to make quick work out of this.  Spread over rhubarb mixture.  Place in 2 gallon freezer bag and freeze.  May stack after all pies are froze solid.

(Repeat for each pie you're making.)

Rhubarb Nut Pie

3 cups rhubarb
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup flour

Layer rhubarb, nuts and brown sugar in unbaked pie crust.  Beat together eggs and melted butter.  Add white sugar and flour.  Mix well and pour over rhubarb.  Place in 2 gallon freezer bag, freeze, may stack once completely frozen.


Baking frozen pies

Do not thaw.  Place frozen pie in 350 degree pre-heated oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes.  Turn off oven; leave pie in for another 10-15 minutes.  Both pies can be served warm, room temperature or cold - whatever you prefer.

If you'd prefer to watch the making of these pies in action check out my YouTube video.  Click here.


Tell me, are you a pie baker?  What's your favorite pie?
OR
Haven't you taken the plunge into baking pies?  Why not?

3 comments:

  1. I love to make and eat wild blackberry pie! Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your channel last summer and love it.
    Please tell Joe my dog was watching when Joe said “Hi dogs!” Bear, the dog says “Woof, Joe!!””
    You are such a good teacher. You make learning easy.
    I’ve stolen ideas from your homeschooling to use as Christmas gifts for my grandkids. ie:Eric Carle collage kits.
    They’ll love using them.
    Wishing you and your family a blessed Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops! Re: earlier comment
    I meant to comment on your latest blog Relax and Bake with me, published 12-2-20.

    ReplyDelete

I love chatting with my readers. So go ahead and comment to start the conversation.