--

--

---------------------

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Community Reconciliation

Tonight was community reconciliation at church. Four priests preside at one mass and then hear confessions. It's really a beautiful thing, to see all these parishoners coming together to confess ones sins in a very real and deliberate way. I don't confess nearly as often as I want to or should ,so I really had to make a grand examination of conscience. While driving I mentioned to Grace that she might want to think of her sins so she's ready for tonight. Without hesitation she said, "You mean examine my conscience......I already did." Why is it so easy for kids? Are their sins not as sinful or deliberate as our adult sins? Aren't they embarrassed by their sins, especially when it's the same sin over and over again? Do they believe in absolution as easily as they believe that I will always love them? Watching kids prepare for reconciliation can really help one prepare for their own. Walk into that confessional ready to lay it all on the line, make an act of contrition, hear your penance, walk out smiling and tell your younger brother that it's so awesome and you can't wait for him to have his turn. That's what Grace did and she looks refreshed, renewed, pure in heart.