--

--

---------------------

Saturday, October 15, 2011

RAP - Rustic Apple Pie

RAP - not music but Rustic Apple Pie

In dire need of a dessert and having no eggs and noticing a large box of apples still sitting in my porch, I decided to make apple pie.  I didn't have a lot of time and so the thought of making two-crust, peeled and thinly sliced apples apple pie wasn't going to work.  I tried something new and really liked how it turned out. 

First I made one two-crust recipe of pie crust.  I rolled them out right on my pans to avoid the messy counter.  I brushed off the extra flour before baking.


I washed a pile of apples.  Mine were pretty small.  I think I used 8-10.  Using my handy apple wedger, I cut them up in a matter of minutes.

I divided up the apples and placed them on the middle of the pie crust.  I sprinkled with about 1/4 c. flour.

I sprinkled on about 2 Tbsp. brown sugar and 1 Tbsp. white sugar.

I sprinkled over a serious amount of cinnamon, probably 1 1/2 tsp. per pie.

Carefully, I lifted up the edges of the pie crust and simply folded it over the apples.  I dotted the top with about 2 Tbsp. butter and popped them into the oven for 25 minutes at 375.  When the timer went off I switched around the pans and baked for another 25 minutes. 

We let them cool while we were eating lunch and sliced with a pizza cutter into 8 small wedges.  Some enjoyed it as is while others dolloped on Cool Whip.  The other RAP was saved until it cooled and eaten for breakfast the next morning.  I especially liked it cool because you could just grab a slice and eat it.  No plate, no fork, no mess.  Yummy, applely, cinnamony goodness.

 
Just a note:  by not mixing up all the dry ingredients it definitely looked rustic.  If you want a prettier looking RAP, mix the dry ingredients in a small bowl and then sprinkle half over each pie.