--

--

---------------------

Monday, February 15, 2016

Chewy Molasses Cookies.....(best ever)



If you made a New Year's Resolution to lose weight, you'll have to skip this recipe.

If you like molasses and ginger and butter and sugar, then stay right here because these are the yummiest, chewiest  molasses cookies ever.

A batch of these baking warms the house and makes it feel so cozy.

And lard is in the list of ingredients.  Yes, you can substitute vegetable shortening, but lard is actually healthier.  One google search for "benefits of lard" and you'll be amazed at what you find.  

Cream together butter, lard, and sugar until it nearly white and fluffy.

These are no store bought eggs.

Crack in 2 eggs.

Pour in molasses.  Remember to eyeball it, it saves time and creates less sticky dishes to wash.
Mix thoroughly.

Add in flour, baking soda, salt,cloves, ginger, and cinnamon making sure to sprinkle the spices around for quicker mixing.

Dough will be fairly stiff.

I like to use a small cookie scoop for perfectly sized cookies that way they bake evenly.

Even though the recipe calls for rolling the cookies into balls, I don't.  I just plop the cookie scooped dough into sugar and roll.  The rolling action tidies up the edges and they turn out just fine without messing up my hands.

Place on ungreased pan and smoosh slightly with spatula.

Bake at 350 F for 8 minutes.  They will look slightly puffed and just undercooked.  Remove from oven and let set on pan for about 2 minutes.  Remove to cooling rack/paper of choice.  And enjoy!

Molasses Cookies
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. lard
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c. molasses
4 c. flour
2 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 1/4 tsp. ginger
1 1/2 tsp. cloves
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Cream together fats and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in molasses and eggs.  Measure in dry ingredients, sprinkling the spices evenly over the flour.  Blend until smooth.  Using cookie scoop, scoop dough and plop into sugar bowl.  Roll until coated with sugar.  Place on ungreased pans.  Bake at 350 for 8 minutes, until puffed.  Cool 2 minutes on pan.  Remove to cooling rack or paper.



I know it's Lent and probably not the best time to be sharing cookie recipes, but that's just the way the dough fell.  Have a great day!

Linking up with

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer, hi! I found your blog through the Homeschool and Down Syndrome Facebook page. We have three boys. We are homeschooling our 7 year old this year, our 5 year old is in preschool, and our 10 year old son, Charlie, has Down syndrome and is currently in public school. It has been a rough year! We have thought very long and hard about homeschooling Charlie, and we are leaning heavily toward starting this March. I have been enjoying your blog, your faith perspective, and all your posts about educating Joseph. My biggest fear about homeschooling Charlie is finding community for him. Who are going to be the friends that he is able to connect with on his own wavelength (benefit of his special ed classroom), now and in the future when his brothers move on from home. My second biggest fear is if I will be able to do a good enough job to prepare him for leading the most independent and meaningful life he is able to lead. Anyway, I will be following your blog. We are in Northern California on the redwood coast. :) --Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, I'm so glad we're connecting! I have the very same concerns about providing friends and preparing Joe for an independent life. Am I doing enough? Are we enough for him? What more should I be doing for him? Is he learning enough? Am I teaching him the right things? The questions go on and on. However, I'd like to point out that as a homeschooling mama I have the same questions concerning all my other children. I truly believe if your heart is in the right place, you will seek out and provide the best for all your children, no matter thier ability or disability.

    The friends thing: First, I have a wide family (oldest is 18, youngest is 2). Joe will benefit from his siblings marrying and having children. Chances are we will become a large network for him. You might look into homeschool groups in your area that could provide fun time, friends, etc. Maybe he has a special friend from school; that friendship could be continued with weekend playdates or movie nights. We have the opportunity to be part of our local school district's virtual program. Joe actually goes to school on Fridays with a group of typically developing children. It's a long drive, but the break is worth it. Most school districts are required to allow homeschool students to take classes. Maybe Charlie could take a class.

    You say, "It's been a rough year!" Without more info, I can only guess as to what kind of problems are going on. It always helps me to make a list of the good and bad of a particular situation and then make my decision from there. Good luck to you. Stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete

I love chatting with my readers. So go ahead and comment to start the conversation.