--

--

---------------------

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Boys and Quantities

Being a part of the female community allows me insight into what my girls are thinking and doing and why they play the way they play. I understand them most days. Good chance I've either thought or done whatever it is they're doing. Grace often times will say to me, "How did you know __________?" My reply is always the same, "I was an 11 year old girl once, I just know what they do."

I can't say the same about boys. I am not from the male community; I don't try to pretend to be and quite honestly I don't always understand the way they think, act, play, fight...... basically anything; I just don't quite get them, although I try very hard. I once read Bringing Up Boys and found it to be a good read. Maybe I should pull that off the shelf again. Anyway this week I had a couple of quick exchanges with Lee (10) reinforcing my misunderstanding of boys.

One morning around 9:30 he grumbled about having had a small breakfast, being hungry and having to wait until 10:15 for a snack. I wondered aloud how he could be hungry when he just ate around 7:00. He shot back with, "I only had time for six bowls of cereal because I have so many morning jobs to get done before school starts and I need time to play, too!" Can the words only and six bowls be used in the same sentence?

As Lee was heading in to take a shower I mentioned to him that a bottle of men's hair and body wash was in the shower and that he should start using it. He said he'd been using it a lot already and thought it smelled really good. I examined the bottle while I was showering and noticed that about 1/4 inch was used up and it's been in the shower for at least a month.

Boys and Quantities
small breakfast = 6 bowls of cereal
a lot of soap = approx. 1 Tbsp. per month