--

--

---------------------

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I Love Rhubarb


Do you?

How about oatmeal? How about brown sugar?
I've been making a lot of this Crumb-Topped Rhubarb lately. It's a recipe from Taste of Home.
Crumb-Topped Rhubarb
3 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
1/2 c. sugar
1 T. flour
1 t. cinnamon
1/8 t. salt
Combine above ingredients in mixing bowl and dump into a greased 8x8 pan.
Topping:
6 T. flour
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. oatmeal
6 T. butter, slightly softened
Combine first 3 ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over rhubarb mixture. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Serve with vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
Baking Notes:
*I always double and put in 9x13 pan.
*I always use more rhubarb than 6 cups. I can't say exactly how much, just whatever I have cut up. No more than 8 cups, though.
*I've used a mix of butter and shortening once because my butter was frozen and I didn't want to wait for it to thaw. It tasted just fine.
*Quick or old-fashioned oats work fine.
Gotta go! The kids are all screaming that Diamond is skinny. What that means is she had her kittens this morning. Pictures will come soon.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Rhubarb reminds me of my Grandmother in Maine: )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!

    How many rhubarb plants do you need to feed your family?

    ReplyDelete

I love chatting with my readers. So go ahead and comment to start the conversation.