--

--

---------------------

Monday, October 5, 2009

Have You Been Carved by Jesus?

Being a Follower of Christ is a lot like being a pumpkin. God picks you from the patch, brings you in and washes off all the dirt. Then He cuts off and scoops out all the yucky stuff. He removes the seeds of doubt, hate and greed. He then carves you a new smiling face and puts his light inside of you to shine for all the world to see.

Yesterday, Father John started his homily with this analogy. I had to question myself, what kind of face did God place on me? I'm pretty sure it's a happy smiling Jack-o-Lantern.
But some days the devil has a way of turning me into this evil pumpkin complete with scowling face and darkness within.


Jesus offers us a way to become a happy, smiling, candle burning jack-o-lantern again. All we have to do is take time out for confession. Have you ever watched people in line for confession? They look a little nervous, serious, even concerned. Their faces are tight, forehead wrinkled, lips pursed. But when they come out everything about them has softened. Kids, especially, show the grace of confession on their faces. They come out smiling, swinging their arms and have a spring in their step. During this fall harvest season take a minute or two and allow the grace of God our Father to carve you a new smiling face.
Act of Contrition
O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended you. I detest all my sins because I dread the loss of heaven and pains of hell, but mostly because they offend you, my God who art all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve with the help of your Grace to confess my sins, do penance and amend my life forever. Amen.