--

--

---------------------

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Recipe Review Wednesday

We have a lot of favorite bar recipes and I make them often. It pleases the family when they find one of their favorites cooling on the counter, but sometimes I get a little bored of the same old, same old. I tend to be a new recipe kinda gal. So in honor of me I grabbed my trusty church cookbook off the shelf opened it to bar recipes and made the first one on the list. While it was baking I thought it would be fun for us to rate each recipe and give it a final score. And I thought wouldn't it be fun to do this each week for as long as I can remember to do it and blog our reactions to the new recipe.

Scoring Ratings

4 points - make again immediately when this pan is empty
3 points - add to the rotation of favorites, I'd be happy to munch on these again
2 points - I'll eat these because they're here, but don't make again
1 point - I guess the chickens need to eat, too


Banana Bars (1.9)
3/4 c. margarine (butter)
1 c. brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 c. mashed ripe bananas (2 medium)
1/2 t. salt
4 c. oatmeal (quick oats)
1 c. raisins (dried cranberries)
1/2 c. chopped walnuts (left out)
*my changes and notes are in ( )

Cream margarine and sugar. Add egg, banana, and salt; beat until smooth. Stir in oatmeal, raisins and nuts. Grease a 9x12 inch pan (9x13). Press dough into pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour (40 minutes).


These browned around the edges very fast in the glass baking dish. They have a consistency of a soft, crumbly cookie and remind me of a granola bar in flavor. I'm sure they would've rated higher if I'd substituted the dried fruit with mini chocolate chips.

Final score: 1.9