Monday, April 19, 2010

Ironing Board Cover

My ironing board was in bad need of a new cover. I've been wanting to make a new one for at least 3 or 4 years. I had a piece of fabric earmarked for just this type of thing and ran across a pattern in a book last summer and then an even better pattern online. Yesterday when everyone was out turkey hunting and Little J was napping I took the time to actually get it done. Here is the finished product. I think it turned out just lovely. I followed the pattern to a "'t" except I didn't add the vintage bit of ribbon and my old cover didn't have velcro straps so I just left it in place and put the new one over.
I also didn't sew the elastic to the ends of the cover. I sewed the ends together and stretched it under the board giving it a very tight fit. If I had to make another, I would actually thread the elastic all the way around the board without leaving the end flap. My ironing board is rounded at the end and so the flap hangs a little funny. Still this was a very easy way to make a cover and using a double layer of fabric will give it many more years of use. When one side gets dingy I can turn it over for a fresh side.

1 comment:

  1. Jen: What a great seamstress you are you try so many different sewing projects. Love: Mom


I love chatting with my readers. So go ahead and comment to start the conversation.