--

--

---------------------

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Worldly Kids


Little Lou (who's 5 1/2) has a Polly Pocket cell phone (flip phone style). She plays with it all day, hanging it on her waistband answering important calls, making emergency calls when necessary. Last night she asked me, "Mom, do you have a cell phone?" I replied with, "Of course honey, I keep it in the van." She retorted with, "No mom, a real cell phone.....like a teenager cell phone." I just had to chuckle. My phone is from the stone age. It's big, too heavy to carry in my purse and definitely not one I would whip out for checkout lane conversation. Kids are so observant of the world. I've even heard my older daughter talk about getting a RAZR phone. I had to look it up on-line just so I could identify one if need be. Now I have to wonder, will Lou, eventually, think her mom was frugal and wise for not upgrading her cell phone every time a new one came out? Will Lou, eventually, think her mom was confident and strong because she didn't need to flash around the latest technology to be cool? Or will Lou, eventually, think her mom was totally not with the times, totally unadjusted to society, dare I say not with it, out of the loop?