--

--

---------------------

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Friday's Details

The morning started early. I was up blogging, doing laundry and taking quilt pictures. Gradually everyone joined me by 7:00. Lee rushed through his morning routine and was ready to do math by 8:00. I, however, would not be ready until 8:30. Not wanting to squelch his enthusiasm, I belted out math help while I loaded the dishwasher, brushed my teeth, and continued with the laundry. Technically, we began the math lessons at 8:30, learning about functions, factors and prime numbers. Lou and Ray set up a store on the book shelf. Of course, later in the day I had to straighten the books. While Grace and Lee practiced for their spelling tests, I defrosted a roast and got that going in the crock-pot. Tonight's supper will be roast venison with gravy, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls and mixed fruit. Spelling test time turned out well; both kids got 15/15, unlike last week. Grace and Lee added a page about Earth to their Solar System Books. I do need to work with them in regards to neatness when it comes to research type work. I did a quick email check, more laundry and then started on lunch (leftovers). Dad, Lee and Ray took a few quick casts before coming in for lunch. After lunch I was treated to a pre-Mother's Day trip to the greenhouse. This year I was involved in picking out flowers for myself. It was fun watching the kids run up and down the greenhouse aisles wanting everything in bloom. Finally we agreed on a variety of annuals for the hanging baskets and the planter and bought one high bush cranberry (Viburnum trilobum). We made many stops before finding all the needed sprinkler supplies, stopped for ice cream sandwiches and headed home. The lawn got mowed, flowers planted and sprinklers set up. The evening was lovely, very few bugs yet, a slight breeze and a true feeling of accomplishment. We all sat on the patio, enjoying the view. Then reality set in and we realized it was 7:15 p.m. and still no supper. Grace and Lee were sent in to take showers; DH and I pulled rhubarb, lots of rhubarb. We were pleasantly surprised when we got in and found Grace had set the table. Luckily, I had put in that roast in the morning and everything just needed to be warmed. By 8:00 I was washing and cutting rhubarb. DH gave Lou and Ray a bath and finally the kids were all in bed. By 10:00 the rhubarb was finished and the kitchen was back to normal. I turned on the dishwasher, sat down with DH and a bowl of popcorn and watched the news. Goodnight! Flower pictures coming soon.