--

--

---------------------

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Today's Details

By some act of God, everyone in this house slept in this morning. DH and I didn't wake up until 7:10 a.m. What came over us? I'll never know, but boy did it feel good. I even had a few minutes alone before slowly, very s..l..o..w..l..y, each of the kids awoke. It was 8:25 a.m. before Grace emerged from her twisted sheets. Morning routines had to be done quickly so the entire day didn't end up late. Lee started his morning with a quick canoe ride in the shallows. He enjoys his time alone while he canoes and always comes in with a nature sighting to tell me about. This morning it was a bald eagle flying over the shed and chicken coop. I discovered I had enough laundry soap to wash a pair of socks, so laundry had to be skipped today. Yeah for today, but boo in two days when I finally get to Wal-mart; the pile is going to take on a life of its own by then.

School started for Lee promptly at 8:30; he pulled out his book and began reading, then did spelling. I quizzed him on his words, orally and then he took a short break to help me make sandwiches while we waited for Grace to be ready for math. Today's lesson was plotting coordinates on a graph. They both picked up on this quickly. They took a division timed test. Lee got 99/100, Grace 78/100. Both had improved from last week. Basically, school is done except for math (one lesson left=1 day) and spelling (two lessons left=8 days) and of course they will continue reading all summer. Lou wrote some letters, sounded out a few simple words and did a page in her workbook. Grace did her spelling and reading and then we moved on to more fun.

Today from 10:30 - 2:30 was our annual homeschool pool party. We meet at an area campground, pay a small fee and use their pool. The weather cooperated; we had a sunny and warm day, perfect for swimming and lounging poolside. Old friendships were rekindled, a few phone numbers swapped for hopeful summer get togethers and cheeks pinkened by bright rays of sunshine. The moms swapped reviews of favorite books, stories of dreadful swimsuit shopping and summer vacation plans. Some moms even shared their zealous summer homeschool plans. Blech! No thankyou. I say that now, but come August 1 I will be chomping at the bit to get started. I thrive on the routine of our school days.

Once home, we had a snack of cheese and crackers and Kool-Aid. Grace and Lee went for a canoe ride. Ray napped. Lou played with horses under the table. I prepared chicken potpie for tonight's supper. Yeah, it's Tuesday and we're supposed to have pizza and a movie, but for reasons too long to explain things changed. The winds picked up so Lou and I picked up the yard debris (toys, hoses, watering cans). The rain never came, it went North, but the yard looks nice anyway.

The plan changed again; DH needed to work tonight so everyone piled in the van to take Grace to violin. While she learned music theory, we walked to the grocery store to pick up coffee and bananas. Then I treated the kids to Taco John's since the pizza/movie night was cancelled. I thoroughly tired out four children today and now I'm reaping the benefits of an early tuck-in. I get to relive and blog my day in peace.